Friday, April 1, 2011

homesick.

Every year around this time I get a bit homesick. A bit homesick for my second home: The Pool. I have grown attached to that place over the years. When I was four and it first opened my family seriously went everyday. Every summer since I've spent a LOT of time there. and when i was finally old enough to work there, I was STOKED
The past three summers I have spent most of my days there. Teaching swimming lessons, yelling at kids who don't follow the rules, having deck wars, doing scenarios, playing water polo, attempting tricks off the diving boars, doing trains down the slide.. etc.
But without a doubt my favorite thing about working there is sitting at the top of the slide after we close to the public.We have 30 minutes to play and lucky for us this is about the time the sun is setting.  
I remember last summer sitting up there with my tan legs resting on the railing,watching the
summer sun fall out of sight  and honestly asking myself 
"How does it get better than this?"
  Right There. That's what summer feels like. It's the most beautiful thing and after a stressful, hot day it's finally when you can let your hair down and get a bit crazy. Which brings me to my next favorite thing about the pool: Late night swimming. After we close at ten and manage to get some of the mats pulled, its time for fun. We do plenty of INSANE things that make all the hours spent there worth it.The pool will always be what I think about when I remember my summers at home. I really can't wait to go back. 


 









No comments: