Wednesday, May 2, 2012

a poem for the day

Ever since I read the Outsiders in 8th grade I have loved the poem "Nothing Gold Can Stay" by Robert Frost. I came across it a few days ago and I was surprised to see the different meaning the poem has to me now.

Nothing Gold Can Stay
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf,
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day
Nothing gold can stay.

Robert Frost
This poem reminds me to enjoy everything about my life. nothing lasts forever. The golden times in my life will eventually fade and I will  have to find a new definition for the word golden. The things I treasure today may be gone tomorrow- and that is why I need to make the most of everything. No moment lasts quite long enough and I think that is a hard lesson to learn.

No comments: